Front end Posting using a custom post type

Home Forums Theme Stuff Front end Posting using a custom post type

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rev. Voodoo 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

sanji41

Hi guys! I am following voodoo tutorial about front end posting, but on the tutorial it only shows using a post page or page. What I want is to use a custom post types with 15 fields on it. I can display it from the backend with no problem, but coming from front end it won’t grab my custom fields. If anyone has an experience on this I’ll be happy if you can lead me to the right path.

Thanks!
    -Sanjay

Rev. Voodoo
    Keymaster

Since I don’t know what your code looks like, I have to start off simple. When registering your post type in functions.php, did you add custom_fields in the supports parameter?

sanji41

Fortunately I managed to work it through. Following your tutorial of course! Thanks a lot for the tutorials, couldn’t done this without it.
    Btw, this is off topic and it bugs me a lot. I notice that some submission sites allow you to submit using your link (tutorial link), from there it’ll grab all of your data and displays on the page. Something like this –> URL, [grabs the excerpt],[title],[featured image],[tags],[not sure for categories though].
    Any idea how to do that? Thanks man!

Rev. Voodoo
    Keymaster

Nope, I’ve never seen that! But I’ll definitely look into it, that could be pretty cool!

sanji41

yeah, here is the site I am talking about

sanji41

yeah, here is the site I am talking about Designfloat I am wondering if it’s a plugin or something. Let me know what you think dude!
    Thanks,
    Sanjay

Rev. Voodoo
    Keymaster

Well, that’s definitely not a WordPress site, so I can’t see what is going on by investigating the source code. Cool feature though, I’ll try looking around and see if I can stumble on anything for WP. It shouldn’t be hard… plugins like feedwordpress make posts from RSS feeds. It would be the same posting mechanism, just grabbing the info from a link ratehr than feed.

sanji41

How’d you know it’s not a WP site? Here’s another one, http://rawloop.com/ I’ve seen some post from feeds and though about it. But you’re the expert Appreciate all the help!
    Sanjay

Rev. Voodoo
    Keymaster

My friend, I am far from an expert!! I just stumble through things I need to do, and then share what I learned! Rawloop isn’t WP either. I can usually tell if a site is WP or not just by viewing the source code from within the browser. WP spits out some signature stuff. But you can also use certain websites, like ismyblogworking.com which will give you info about a website, such as software, theme, server, etc.

sanji41

I found this article, maybe we can start with this and go on. Automagic Post Thumbnails & Image Management

sanji41

Hey Rev,
    Just a quick question, how do I select the right taxonomies on CPT? I followed your tut, so my code looks like this [code title=""]'post_category' => array($_POST['post-type'])[/code] and here is how I display the dropdown [code title=""]wp_dropdown_categories('show_option_none=Select category&orderby=name&taxonomy=project-type'); [/code]
    Now, I can select them on front end. The problem is when I checked them on the back end, they are not selected. It doesn’t work even though I just switch names on the tutorial that you have. Any ideas? Thansk!

sanji41

code didn’t go through, this is the first one ‘post_category’ => array($_POST[‘post-type’]),
    here is the one to show the dropdown
    wp_dropdown_categories(‘show_option_none=Select category&orderby=name&taxonomy=project-type’);

Rev. Voodoo
    Keymaster

I think it’s got something to do with the first bit of code. in the array you have post-type. Which I don’t think is right. Did you try it with just cat in there, like my example? or possibly project-type? You don’t want it to be post-type, that is only used to fill in the actual post_type parameter.

sanji41

post-type is the one that I used on taxonomies, what do you think should I use then?

Rev. Voodoo
    Keymaster

your taxonomy is registered as project-type right? IT is registered to the post-type. So I would think you want to use the name of your taxonomy here, not the name of your post-type. So you are passing taxonomy to the category, and post-type to post_type in the processing code.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.