RSS icons in 2011 Theme

Home Forums Theme Stuff RSS icons in 2011 Theme

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rev. Voodoo 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Steve

Has anyone managed to add RSS feeds into the Twenty Eleven theme ? I found an article on how to do it for the 2010 theme (http://digitalraindrops.net/2010/11/add-rss-icons-to-twenty-ten/) but am struggling to extend that for the 2011 theme.

Any ideas?

Rev. Voodoo
    Keymaster

What have you tried so far? My first attempt would involve putting the get_template_part from the tut right after the get_search_form in 2011’s header.php.

Steve

Hi thanks for the reply. All I’ve been doing so far is pretty much getting in a mess mainly because I’m not experienced enough in either how the WP template structure works or PHP coding but I’m learning with both and this is a good way to do it I think. I’ll try the line you suggest and see where it leads me. I also found a reasonable plugin but it limits me to only having the links that the plugin provides and restricts me to where it can go – sidebar or footer. I like the idea of understanding what I’m doing sufficiently well to do what I want – wishful thinking maybe.

I’ll post back here with the result

Steve

Hi – just thought I’d follow up on this. The plugin was fine but didn’t teach me much 8-O.
    I followed your suggestion a bit by playing around in the header.php file of my child theme and added some HTML and CSS to get the result I wanted. It seems to be working fine and was a good exercise for someone new to WP – still trying to get my head around how it all hangs together. Thanks for the initial steer.

Rev. Voodoo
    Keymaster

I’m glad you figured it out. It’ll all click at some point…. When I started customizing themes, I had no idea what I was doing. I would just fight with code until something worked. I’m no expert by any means but things started to click, now I can at least sit down and know how to make any modifications I want.

I’m in the middle of making my own theme for my personal blog. That is quite a challenge I’ve found. It’s much harder to sit down to a blank text document and just invent a theme. I’d always used a theme as a starting point, and reworked it to my needs.

My point basically is that by hacking away at things, you’ll learn what does what relatively quickly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.