Do you want to run a music or podcast site? Maybe you’ve already tried and have run into some problems. Or maybe you are just looking for some pointers to help your site out. I’ve run a series of posts on my personal site, Rev. Voodoo’s Blog, for nearly 5 years now. I have hundreds of DJ mixes over there and I’ve stumbled and reconfigured many times. This post won’t be a step by step tutorial, it might not even end up being very linear. I just figured I could brain dump a variety of things I have come across and maybe some of my learnings will be useful to you! Let’s dive in!
Over the past three days we’ve accomplished quite a bit. First we set up a form to post from the front end. Once we had the form all set up, we dropped in some code to allow images to be uploaded with the form. And finally we added in the ability to use custom meta boxes on our form to collect additional information in custom fields for us to use. That’s a lot of code. Plus I had some difficulties with code that sometimes worked and sometimes did not. I got that all fixed. I thought it might be best to drop the full code I have in one post so that we can review it together.
A few posts ago, we learned how to add post formats to a twenty ten child theme. After that, we looked at how to add some custom styling to post formats. Our next goal coming up is going to be adding different functionality to our posts formats. Crafting our own loop that does something different with the format. I’m going to focus on the Link format. I want the link format to have it’s title point to whatever article/site I am talking about, rather than link to the post, as is normal theme behaviour. A cool way to do that would be to just have a box on the new post page that asks for the URL, and automatically links the title to that URL. We can do that with meta boxes. We will look at adding meta boxes tomorrow, but today we start out with custom fields. Custom fields are pretty much how it all works, let’s take a peek.
I ran into an interesting problem today. My podcasting plugin over on my blog flaked out on an upgrade. The music player still works, but the download links disappeared. Now that site relies on the music downloads. I just couldn’t have that. The developers are looking for a fix, but I needed the functionality now. So I came up with a nifty band-aid.