I’ve seen a variety of posts from people devising different ways to customize the_excerpt length. In WordPress, most people are familiar with 2 ways to display their content: the_content, and the_excerpt. Both give fairly predictable results as to what you get. the_content gives you all of your content, with formatting intact. the_excerpt gives you your set excerpt, stripping away formatting, links, etc. But you had one excerpt length, and that was it! What if you want various excerpts? Well I’ve seen ways to craft various excerpts by creating different functions that had to be called per template, but as of WP 3.3 that is no more! Check it out!
WPBeginner has a cool tutorial on creating a grid of posts. I know I see a few requests every month for this type of functionality. Check out their write-up!
We’ve only recently gotten our sites up to date with WordPress 3.1, and already discussions are underway for 3.2 You can check out the full story by clicking the title or the link under the title here (depending on which view you are on). But I’m already excited about the discussion. Major plans are:
- “Faster and Lighter” is the theme of the release. In terms of both release cycles for updates, and the code base itself.
- A requirement for PHP 5.2, and MySQL 5, time to drop support of old tech
- End of Life for IE6, on the admin side, control over the front end is up to your theme
- Distraction free writing, some kind of new full screen writing interface
- Upgrade improvements, only replacing files that were changed on upgrades
Those are the basic plans for this upgrade. I know I’m excited about performance improvements. Check out the link to follow the discussion.
So I decided to use my logo as my header image. I love it, it looks awesome. But it already has the text VoodooPress in it. Seems kind of redundant to have my site name up there twice doesn’t it? So I removed the site name text, and relocated the description to the bottom of the header. We will cover how to do all that soon. But if you remove that Site Name link, you lose the built in link to your home page. Let’s fix that by making the entire header image a link!